Bruins lose first road game of season to George Brown

Jenkins-Soccer Gamecrop
Bruins men’s soccer lost their first road game to George Brown at Centennial Stadium. (Photo by Grant Jenkins/The Sheridan Sun)


Sheridan men’s soccer team dropped its first away game of the season to the George Brown Huskies at Centennial Stadium.

The Bruins came into the game after winning their season opener against Seneca last Tuesday.

George Brown looked to get their first win at home following two away losses to open their season 0-2.

The rain fell heavily at Centennial Stadium as both teams took the pitch to start the game. The teams played a very physical first 45 minutes with scoring chances few and far between.

Both teams seemed to struggle in the wet conditions as most scoring opportunities were coming from set pieces.

With both teams fighting the conditions George Brown eventually broke the tie, scoring in the 43rd minute on a Sheridan miscue.

George Brown held the 1-0 lead heading into halftime after carrying majority of the offence.

The physical play continued in the second half as the Bruins tried to tie up the game early.

However George Brown continued to dominate the pace of the game and score again in the 49th minute to make it 2-0 Huskies.

Under two minutes later the Huskies extended the lead to 3-0.

With the game out of reach the Bruins let frustration take over as the physicality increased.

Bruins players and coaching staff began questioning officials after questionable play on both sides.

Bruins coaching staff could be overheard exclaiming “Now you see what I’m talking about ref? Do you?” to the referee following a hard foul on a Bruins player.

With the game out of reach the Bruins made some substitutions to get more height to try to negate the height of George Brown’s team.

Following injury stoppages late in the second half both teams were left with 10 players to finish the game.

After the injury stoppages the Bruin frustration boiled over and the referee had to separate the two teams.

Bruin coaching staff loudly yelled to the team to “keep quiet’” from the sideline tent following the incident.

Two more Bruins received yellow cards bringing the Sheridan total to 4 in the game.

The Bruins felt as if they were battling the ref as well as the Huskies, every call from the ref got a reaction from the Sheridan sideline.

The score remained 3-0 until the final whistle, giving the George Brown Huskies their first win of the season.

Sheridan now sits at 1-1 and will look to bounce back at home on Wednesday when they play UTM at home.

About administrator 140 Articles
This is what we're all about