BY ALEXANDER MARGAVIO
It’s not hard or expensive to make a tasty sandwich. For this installment of College Cuisine Corner, we’ll teach you how make a classic lunch that will never go out of style: the Grilled Cheese Deluxe. Follow these steps and you’ll be on the express route to flavour town in no time.
1. Gather your ingredients for preparation. A lot of these can be specified to your choice of cheese, sandwich meat, bread, etc., so try different combinations and experiment This includes two slices of bread, cheese, sandwich meat, tomato, lettuce, butter or margarine, and salt and pepper.
2. You’ll also need a sandwich press or electric grill, a plate, and a spatula. A cutting board is also recommended.
3. Prepare the cheese by either slicing it or taking it out of the package. Do this to the meat as well if you didn’t buy it pre-sliced.
4. Cut up or shred the lettuce and put it to the side.
5. Cut the tomato into medium thin slices.
6. Season the tomato with salt and pepper. This will help balance the flavour and keep the sandwich from getting too soggy.
7. Butter the outsides of the bread with either margarine or butter.
8. Start assembling the sandwich, starting with the meat and cheese on both sides.
9. Put the lettuce on one side of the two halves, and tomato on the other. This way the moisture from the lettuce and tomato don’t soak too much into the bread.
10. Place the sandwich on the electric grill. Make sure your grill has been properly pre-heated at this point. Have it go through at least one cycle on its own.
11. Keep the sandwich under the grill until the bread starts to visibly toast. Make sure to check every couple of minutes as this step varies in time based on electric grill type.
12. If your grill is small, make sure to rotate the sandwich using a spatula as needed so it cooks on all fronts.
13. Once the bread has been thoroughly toasted and the cheese has melted, put it on a plate, let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
14. (Optional) Give it a good diagonal cut and serve it with ketchup.
15. You’ve now made Grilled Cheese Deluxe. Enjoy!